BBQ jackfruit is one of my favorite meals to have, especially when going to a cookout or summer lunch! It's easy to make, absolutely delicious and always a crowd pleaser. Especially with omnivores who just can't believe the amazing pulled "pork" sandwich they're eating is vegan! I recommend having this on a bun and pairing it with either a nice vegan slaw or pickled red onions for a nice bite.
An amazing vegan pulled pork replacement, perfect for barbecues and cookouts.
Makes: 4-5 servings
Cook time:50 mins
- 2 20-ounce cans jackfruit
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat your oven to 400°F
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut off the center core of the fruit and discard.
- Add olive oil, jackfruit, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili, powder, and cumin to a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Stir and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the jackfruit is soft and easily pulls shreds and pulls apart.
- Use two forks to pull apart your jackfruit, and then spread evenly across a parchment-paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread BBQ sauce over the jackfruit. Stir to combine.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve! I love having it as a slider on a bun but also goes great as a side.