Easy Mushroom and Brown Rice "Risotto"
This one-pot meal is a new staple in my house! It's delicious, creamy and so quick to make. To make this super easy I use pre-cooked rice. I know, Italians everywhere are gasping in horror. However I've found that this shortcut allows the dish to be much quicker to make while still packing in tons of flavor. My go to is Trader Joe's Frozen Brown Rice but you can use any pre-cooked or leftover rice that you have available.
Easy Brown Rice Mushroom "Risotto"
A quick and simple one-pot 'risotto' recipe using pre-cooked rice.
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 cup thinly sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 sprigs of thyme leaves, picked
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (I used trader joes frozen)
- In a large pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and the whites of your green onion and saute until they are fragrant and transulcent, about 5 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add in the mushrooms, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the mushrooms are tender, stirring occassionally. Next, add your rice. If using frozen rice stir it and give it 2 or 3 minutes for the water to cook off, then add the white wine. Stir frequently until the rice has absorbed most of the wine. Add a 1/2 cup of your vegetable broth and continue stirring occassionally until it's absorbed by the rice, about 5 minutes. Then repeat with the rest of your vegetable broth. Stir in the green onion, leaving some for garnish. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and garnish with the remaining green onion