Vegan Jamaican Curry Stew
For Christmas I got a copy of Afro-Vegan, a cookbook filled with Carribean and soul food recipes by Bryant Terry. The first thing in it that caught my eye was the Jamaican Curry powder recipe. I've never made my own curry powder but figured that anything where you're whole roasting your own spices can't possibly be bad. Luckily, I also received an Instant Pot for Christmas so I decided to put those two together and try to make some magic happen. And boy did it ever!
This stew is hearty, filling, and has some really amazing flavors. The best part is it was super quick and easy to make. If you already have the curry powder all prepared you really just throw everything into a pot, press the stew button and when you come back 20-30 minutes later it's all done!
I haven't tried this on the stove yet but my guess is that if you don't have an instant pot you can still make this same thing, you'll probably need to give it at least 40 minutes to cook so that the potatoes and lentils are cooked through and if you can leave it longer, any extra time will just help the flavors develop.
A note on the Jamaican Curry Powder:
The powder is the powerhouse center of this recipe, so using a delicious and high quality mix is important. I love the recipe from Afro-Vegan and whole heartedly recommend it. If you don't have a copy of the book though and would like to still make your own homemade curry powder, there are some recipes online that seem similar, like this one from Immaculate Bites. And of course, you always have the option of buying store bought pre-made powder, but it won't be nearly as high quality as making your own.
Instant Pot Vegan Jamaican Curry Stew
Delicious, quick and easy to make stew.
Makes: 6 servings
- 1lb potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 13.5 ounce can of jackfruit, drained
- 1/2 cup Jamaican Curry Powder (see above)
- 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of dry split red lentils
- 1 14oz can of coconut milk
- 3.5 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Add all of your ingredients, except the lemon juice, to the instant pot
- Close the pot and press the meat/stew button.
- After the instant pot is done release the pressure through the quick release valve. Stir in lemon juice. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve warm.